THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, April 16, 2010

A girl in boys underwear?

Now that we're clearing the hurdle of sleeping in a big girl bed, my mind is drifting towards the next big one.

Potty training.

(Even typing it gives me butterflies. This whole mom thing is really fraught with all these "things" that you have to teach your child and do for your child that you have no idea how to do. I've been reading books and there are literally at least 10 different ways to potty train a child. And the caveat is that they all have the disclaimer "what works for one child may not necessarily work for another". Well, thanks a lot! Okay, (deep breath) rant over)

One of the big suggestions is to take your child to pick out his/her new underwear and let the child choose them. So, Meg and I went to Target (our favorite store!) to look at some brand spankin' new skivvies for the Princess. She's pretty excited at this point because I've made a huge deal out of it. So we sit down in front of the display and I pull down one of each package that I'd be willing to buy. (I just don't like Dora or that Ni Hao Japanimation critter, so we weren't even looking at those!) They had Hello Kitty,Tinkerbell, Disney princesses, Elmo & Zoe- all sorts of cute stuff that I knew she would like. We sat and inspected each package. At first, she was pretty interested in the Tinkerbell package, but she looked up and lo and behold- Buzz and Woody Toy Story underwear caught her eye.


Tinkerbell doesn't hold a candle to her beloved Buzz and Woody. Toy Story is her favorite movie and her Buzz and Woodie dolls go everywhere with us. As soon as she saw them, it was over. None of the girl underwear held any interest after that. She wanted Buzz and Woody. Unfortunatly, they were boys briefs.

I can't let her wear boys underwear. First, it's for boys. Second, her grandmothers (all of 6 of them) would protest. Loudly. Third, Meg still doesn't have much hair, so if she's not wearing pink or purple, she still gets mistaken for a boy. I don't want to reinforce that she's a boy by putting her in boy undies. Fourth, I would have been humiliated as a kid to learn that as a toddler, my parents had put me in boy underwear, even if I had wanted it. (I can just see her as an adult, explaining to her therapist that all the bad things in her life have stemmed from her parents putting in in boys underwear as a toddler!)

So, my guess is that I'm going to have to buy plain white undies and make iron ons for her to have Buzz and Woodie undies. I wonder if the iron ons will last through multiple washings though. Any experience with iron ons and multiple washings?

Any other ideas?

0 comments: